Monday, March 24, 2008

Dogwood from Below


We have had some beautiful skies lately. I got lucky today when I decided to get out and take some shots of our beautiful dogwood tree. I had to climb a ten foot ladder to get up high enough to shoot down on some of the blooms and then I decided to shoot up and capture the flowers against the blue sky. The tree is covered with blooms and will probably be gone by weekend with storms predicted. I always love this time of year because this tree mystifies me. If you have never seen a dogwood before make it a mission of yours. These blooms start out as small petals already in the shape they end up but much smaller. I can never figure out how the get wider since they are already a small version of what they end up as. Each day the flowers get a little wider and rounder until they reach this size. It almost always blooms around Easter and is a symbol of the cross with each petal having a brown indention like the nail holes of the cross. Our dogwood is one of the few things in life that is very predictable.

No comments: