Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Big Picture


I had the opportunity to get the big picture today. I have a friend who loves the upper deck for sporting events. For my whole life I have wondered why in the world anyone would want to sit in the upper deck instead of sitting down close to the action. I decided to honor my friend today by sitting in the "upper deck", actually it was a balcony and I sat alone at my friend's funeral. I know, I know, not another funeral but yes that is where I found myself . I sat alone and in amazement at the fact that no one else had the thought to sit in the upper deck seats just like he would have done. What I learned was that it is a totally different view from up high. First thing I noticed is that no one else could see me since they were all looking forward. Secondly I was amazed at how many men there were balding. Thirdly it suddenly hit me at what a cool site it was to see the whole scene in one view. I could see every seat filled and the pattern all of those heads made. I am an up close sort of person but it was a wonderful reminder to stop and take in the big picture. Sometimes it takes the big picture to understand a situation. I also chuckled to myself as the family can always say, it was a full house, there were even people in the balcony! I wondered what the preacher and three speakers whom I know all pretty well, were thinking about that lone person sitting up in the nose bleed seats. Maybe they realized I knew doctor 9X pretty well and knew right where he would have been sitting if he had still been with us.

No comments: