Monday, January 21, 2008

Social Media as I See It

participating in a project this is my read on social media as it has touched my life.

As I have mentioned before photography has become a huge part of who I am. I have made some great friends through photography and have found some in the strangest places. The funny part is I wouldn't recognize some of them if they kicked me in the knee. I know that sounds strange but they are people I have met via the internet. No, not the weird stuff you find on the internet. The one that has had the biggest impact on me is http://www.strobist.blogspot.com or strobist.com. David Hobby has created a community with his site. He has selflessly shared his knowledge with all of us to improve our lighting. He unknowingly pushed me to challenge myself in areas I have always wanted to tread but didn't know where to start. Have I mastered all he has taught, not even close but I am a better photographer because of him and I know there is always room for improvement. The other strobists are very open to sharing ideas and feedback in a positive way. The discussions are positive unlike other forums where there is always someone ruining the fun. David has encouraged people to get together in towns all over the world to practice what they have learned from his site. This blog is really an outlet for me to practice what I have learned from strobist.com, forcing me to shoot things I would not normally shoot in ways that stretch me as a photographer, hopefully for the better.

No comments: