Thursday, February 21, 2008

Diverse

What is diverse? Well I would consider my special day this week to be diverse. I really wondered what kind of reality show it would have made. What exactly happened on this specific day was a day at County jury duty. After arriving at the court house by 8:30am. I discovered my dentist sitting behind me. You have to love the court system, after everyone was in their seat we watched a short film on exemptions we were told to take a twenty minute break. A room withover 1000 people told to be back in twenty minutes. Whoever thought that out, hmmmm. Once assigned to a jury pool I had no idea that by the end of the day I would have met some of the most interesting people I will probably come across this month. I was seated next to girl I had gone to high school with. To my other side was a very nice guy who use to be in the armed services and has spent time working as a teacher to teenagers who have violent backgrounds, drug or alcohol issues. Amazing difference he has made in kids' lives. Another young man sat behind me who has started his own businesses. We had a parole officer, a former court reporter, a coach/referee, a restaurant owner and a rebellious young juror who never returned after lunch. By that evening when jury selection was finally finished I truly felt like I had been in the trenches with a room full of people I would feel honored to call friends. Twelve lucky folks were selected for the three week long case. I was released, which was a smart call by the lawyers. I would not have had the patience to sit there and listen to all of the posturing the lawyers were already up to. I do have the court system to thank for introducing some interesting people into my life and I am off to visit the upstart restaurant one of my fellow jurors is hard at work making work.

No comments: