Saturday, February 14, 2009

Hearts and Valentines

Happy Valentines to all!

I am not sure exactly what the purpose of Valentines day is. I realize it's a day to let that special someone in your life know how much they mean to you, but aren't you suppose to do that every day anyway? If you take the daily route to showing those you care about how important they are to you, you won't have to pay the ridiculous price that I can guarantee you will have to pay on February 14th. Honestly how can the grocery store $9.99 dozen rose packages sell for $50.00 on February 14th? The $9.99 roses are actually better quality and will last longer than the more expensive ones due to the demand and the process the roses have been through to be here for the 14th.
Ok with that rant behind me, I have to admit there are certain indulgences with every holiday. Ironically not one of my children shares my appreciation for these fine delicacies. Candy corn in October is a must, candy canes only taste good in December, it is weird but come January 1st they lose their flavor, and of course Valentines means candy hearts! I'm not talking about tons of them, just one box will do. This year a strange thing happened, none of my kids had a Valentines party at school, which meant no candy on those cute little cards, which meant NO candy hearts for mom. As if an odd alignment of the stars forsaw this way before I did, a gift arrived for me with candy hearts attached. Fortunatley this year I was saved from missing out on my important valentines ritual of overloading on candy and praying to not crack a tooth. Rest assured that next year I will remember this year's shortfall of candy hearts and will purchase in advance of the day to avoid any unvoluntary withdrawal from my personal holiday ritual of candy hearts.

No comments: